Director of Purchasing
LBM / Building Materials Career Opportunity
We are seeking a Director of Purchasing for one of the fastest-growing LBM companies in the country. The director will drive the development and oversee the activities involved in the supply chain. This includes supplier performance incentives, developing and monitoring sales business plans by the supplier, and actively seeking new suppliers and products.
Essential Director of Purchasing Job Duties
- Builds and maintains relationships with vendors representing company philosophy on product line businesses listed below.
- Develops the business plan, sales strategy, product line development, target accounts, and performance measures in concert with strategic suppliers and US LBM operating companies Sales Management.
- Monitors the execution of the business plan.
- Negotiates annual performance incentives based on those strategic alliances.
- Oversees rebate management function with accurate tracking, forecasting, and accruals.
- Actively seeks new suppliers and programs to present to operating companies that will enhance overall position as a market leader.
- Collectively develops improvements to the process that are in agreement with the company’s philosophy and mission.
- Establishes and measures inventory goals; develops operating company’s processes to meet these goals.
- Measures on time and complete delivery to ensure world-class operating standards.
- Coach, develop, motivate, and train team of building materials category managers.
- Attends company functions as required; seminars, trade shows, etc.
- Actively promotes US LBM and its holding companies in a professional manner within the industry as well as the community
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Provide Support for the Following Product Categories
- Doors (Interior & Exterior), Millwork/Int.Trim, Siding/Ext. Trim, Roofing
- InsulationCabinets, Decking/Railing, Hardlines/Hardware
- Tools/Fasteners, Gypsum, Metal Framing, Windows
- Ceiling Tiles
Director of Purchasing Requirements
- Knowledge of building materials industry and support operations and/or the distribution industry operations with an understanding of the value add the position of distribution.
- Must be proficient at negotiating contractual agreements related to supply chain objectives.
- Must be able to establish and present annual operating goals.
- Must maintain and enhance positive supplier and customer relations.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication proficiencies, positive interpersonal skills along with demonstrated presentation ability are required.
- Must lead by example and exhibit an entrepreneurial and strategic spirit accompanied with excellent interpersonal skills, a strong advocate of promoting quality and continuous process improvement.
- Must be experienced in team management such as coaching, motivating, and training direct reports where applicable.
- Must have special knowledge of accounting applications and the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference; ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Significant proficiency in MS Office programs and other, area-specific, software as needed. Ninja-level MS Excel is a must.
- Must be able to adhere to travel demands of this position, up to 50% of the time.
- Physical demands include the regular use of hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
Education and Work Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year College or University
- Five to ten years of operational experience with significant career experience in a fast pace distribution organization.