Director of Land Entitlements Job Opening in Charleston, SC
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are seeking a Director of Land Entitlements for one of the fastest-growing homebuilders in the Charleston, SC market. The primary role will be to support the Corporate VP of Land and the Division Presidents with the entitlement and due diligence process to develop master-planned communities in coastal South Carolina.
The right candidate will be responsible for entitlements and due diligence for land development projects. They will determine the feasibility of a planned acquisition and facilitate property entitlement to include obtaining zoning and governmental approvals.
Our client is in a high growth mode and looking for a professional willing to accept the challenge of increased market demands. You’ll join a builder with some of the best land positions in Charleston, and they offer a competitive salary, augmented with a performance-based incentive. We are looking for enthusiastic attitudes and team players to join this great organization.
Director of Land Entitlements Responsibilities
- Plan, manage and direct the activities for land entitlements.
- Review land purchase agreements for the necessary entitlements deal points and monitor compliance within terms.
- Aid in the coordination of joint development agreements and joint ventures.
- Complete due diligence and feasibility analysis for each project before acquisition.
- Serve as the organization’s liaison with regulatory agencies when preparing, modifying, or obtaining the necessary zoning, land planning, land use, and permitting approvals.
- Obtain entitlements for projects, including all governmental approvals, negotiations with public agencies, and assist with representation at public meetings.
- Oversee the preparation, submittal, and approval of all subdivision plans and permits.
- Manage the daily activities in the due diligence process, obtain entitlements from jurisdictional authorities, including zoning changes, yield plans, concept plans, and preliminary/final plats.
- Review and evaluate consultants’ scope of work, professional service agreements, development agreements, site plans, wetland reports, soils reports, environmental services analysis, survey, and other technical data reports.
- Plan, direct, manage professional consultants and engineering firms to hit internal project schedules.
- Establish and nurture a working relationship with utility companies, city, county, and state highway departments required for project feasibility and advancement.
- Work as an integral part of the land team to determine land use product line, product fit, and amenity design.
- Attend meetings with city, county, and state staff to obtain entitlements.
- Hold neighborhood and stakeholder meetings at project onset to gain project confidence.
- Attend city, county plan commission, and town council meetings as required to obtain an entitlement.
- Conduct all business ethically and professionally to serve our internal and external customers and increase the goodwill and profitability of our organization.
- With increased organizational growth, you’ll direct two or more associates in the land development and operations department.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities per the organizational policies and procedures. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, disciplining, assigning, rewarding, and training associates in the following disciplines: planning, land analysis, land use, zoning, government hierarchy, risk assessment, due diligence processes.
Director of Land Entitlements Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or related year of professional experience in place of degree, preferably 8 – 10 years
- Knowledge of market trends, growth, pricing, and supply levels
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Ability to function within a team environment and responsible enough to work independently
- Preferred professional land planner or professional engineering experience
- Strong negotiation and contract drafting and reviewing skills
Industry-Leading Home Builder Benefits
- Medical insurance coverage with BlueCross BlueShield
- Dental & Vision Insurance coverage with Guardian
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Voluntary Life policies available
- 401(k) Retirement plan and Paid Time Off