Vice President of Purchasing
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We’re seeking an experienced Vice President of Purchasing for a leading home builder in Sarasota, FL. Our builder client is among the market leaders, and they’re seeking an experienced purchasing professional that’s led highly effective teams for large homebuilder operations. Local candidates are preferred, but all candidates with the right experience and track record will be considered.
If you are a current Director of Purchasing, VP of Purchasing, VP of Operations, or Regional VP of Purchasing with a strong work ethic and leadership capacity, we invite you to apply for this opportunity. This homebuilder’s comp and opportunity for personal and professional growth are very strong.
Vice President of Purchasing Objectives:
- The Vice President of Purchasing will manage the purchasing and cost-estimating functions from product development through construction.
- Responsible for all Division purchasing activities, trade contractor relations, and contract administration.
- Keep current on market trends to advise on price fluctuations and product availability
- Select, and provide training and leadership to the purchasing group on customer and employee satisfaction.
Vice President of Purchasing Responsibilities:
- Recruit, select, train, and manage personnel and establish standard operating procedures for purchasing, estimating, and design departments. Hold operating expenses to targeted ratio on sales
- Determine accurate standard specifications for each trade. Ensure that all trades are under trade contractor agreement. Develop relationships with trades committed to reducing costs and increasing quality
- Administer accurate quantity take-offs and estimates. Monitor competitive bidding, contract negotiation, and value engineering. Re-bid trades if cost increases occur
- Establish and maintain a trade contractor/supplier performance evaluation system and award program
- Analyze cost codes by phase for cost-saving measures and techniques. Communicate any substantial hard-cost changes to VP
- Maintain master price books for sales department price adjustment
- Conduct detailed lot programming analysis
- Research and approve invoices and variance purchase orders to meet accounting department deadlines
- Schedule the starts to match monthly projections
- Stay current on innovative products, construction techniques, and trends affecting the home-building industry
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ten years of experience in purchasing management in the new home construction industry
- Experience leading a team of 10+ employees
- High level of understanding of system applications
- Extensive knowledge of FL building codes, residential construction methods/practices
- ERP system implementation experience
- Strong negotiation and trade base management experience
- Strong self-organization skills, planning, and problem-solving skills
Industry-Leading Homebuilding Benefits:
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care – Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) With Company Matching Contributions
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays