Vice President of Purchasing
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are seeking an experienced Vice President of Purchasing for a leading national home builder in Charleston, SC. Our builder client is among the market leaders, and they’re seeking an experienced purchasing professional that’s led highly effective teams. Local candidates are preferred, but all candidates with the right experience and track record will be considered.
If you are a current Director of Purchasing, VP of Purchasing, VP of Operations, or Regional VP of Purchasing in the home building industry with a strong work ethic and leadership capacity, we invite you to apply for this opportunity. This homebuilder’s comp and personal and professional growth opportunities are very strong and competitive with our client.
Vice President of Purchasing Objectives:
- The Vice President of Purchasing will manage the purchasing and cost-estimating functions from product development through construction.
- Responsible for all division purchasing activities, trade contractor relations, and contract administration.
- Keep current on market trends to advise on price fluctuations and product availability.
- Select, and provide training and leadership to the purchasing group on customer and employee satisfaction.
Vice President of Purchasing Responsibilities:
- Initiate, negotiate and contract for all labor and materials associated with home construction.
- Ensure house budgets and options are accurate, complete, and in the software system, and promptly communicate changes to the VP of Finance and Division President.
- Ensure that material takeoffs are correct and complete.
- Set direction on pricing methodology and procedure, reporting system setup, and input requirements.
- Conduct closed job analysis along with the VPs of Construction and Finance and report these findings to the Division President and VP of Finance.
- Establish and maintain the scope of work for all construction phases in coordination with the VP of Construction.
- Establish service level needs and evaluation criteria for building products, subcontractors, and material suppliers.
- Source new and better products, subcontractors, and material suppliers.
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of plans and specifications.
- Responsible for the value engineering of the product.
- Monitor and report (regularly) on subcontractor and material increases/decreases.
- Monitor and report (regularly) on construction costs per plan.
- Participate in prototype walks. Incorporate proto-walk changes into the plans and specifications. Notify appropriate departments of plans and specification changes.
- Provide and maintain competitive bid and value engineering reports for each trade per community.
- Establish, maintain, and keep current standard operating procedures for the purchasing department.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Business, or another related field or have a minimum of 5-7 years in a similar position with a high-volume homebuilder.
- High level of understanding of J.D. Edwards software.
- Extensive knowledge of the homebuilding construction process.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong relationship skills.
- Strong self-organization skills
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills.
Industry-Leading Homebuilding Benefits:
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care – Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) With Company Matching Contributions
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays