Corporate Controller Job Opening in Jacksonville, FL
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are teaming with a leading home builder in Jacksonville, searching for an experienced Corporate Controller. We seek candidates with significant accounting experience either in the homebuilding sector or with a leading accounting firm. Our client is among the fastest-growing homebuilders in the country, and company culture focuses on results while promoting work/life balance while emphasizing team spirit.
Reporting to the CEO, the right candidate will manage all aspects of the company’s historical reporting, anticipatory budgeting, and financial projections. The controller will act as the conscience for the organization, which involves fiduciary responsibilities, business process improvement, and challenging the entire management team’s thinking and decisions. The right candidate will also lead senior management in compliance with company policies and act as the liaison between the division and the corporate office regarding accounting and finance issues.
Corporate Controller Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and direct day-to-day accounting processes, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting, calculations of internal and external sales commissions, financial reporting, budgeting, tax preparation, and other supporting financial information.
- Develop, implement, and supervise all accounting functions concerning the business following corporate accounting policies, GAAP, and internal controls.
- Prepare financial statements, supporting schedules, and other information for internal and external parties in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the company’s financial and accounting policies.
- Delegate and review accruals, depreciation and amortization calculations, accounts receivable collections, vendor payments, periodic disbursements, monthly closing entries, general ledger accounts reconciliation, standard and non-standard journal entries, and financial reporting.
- Oversee treasury operations, including daily cash management, debt management, projections, and debt covenant reporting.
- Maintain a good working relationship with financial institutions. Provide information to banks, lenders, and vendors for credit approval ensuring all information is kept confidential.
- Prepare monthly job profit and loss reports and report significant job cost variances to the purchasing department and management team.
- Provide monthly job sales and gross margin reports to senior management, including comparisons to the budget and supporting job cost reports and documents.
- Supervise the business’s financial operations to facilitate timely and accurate financial reporting and help guide the company’s strategic financial decisions.
- Oversee risk management, ensure adequate insurance policies are in force, meet and exceed risk tolerance, and coverage does not lapse.
- Ensure the vendor and subcontractor agreements insurance clause complies with the company’s insurance policy requirements and is enforced by the accounts payable department.
- Ensure that monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting is completed timely according to schedule.
- Maintain/build analytical models for breakeven, cash flow, and ROI for land development projects.
- Provides leadership to the accounting team and performs all normal supervisory functions, including hiring, training, appraisal, counseling, and discipline.
- Review jobs during critical milestones, customer deposits, draws, and sufficient loan commitments are in place and oversee the closing coordinator, ensuring an accurate and timely settlement process.
- Must be a strategic thinker with proven tactical execution capabilities who thrives in a team and a family-cultured environment with highly motivated professionals and can proactively identify and solve problems.
- Work closely with the senior management team to provide financial insight to the business, ensure the accuracy of company information, improve business processes and assist in making decisions that align with the company’s strategic plan.
Qualifications for Corporate Controller
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited post-secondary institution, CPA/Public Accounting or Certified Management Accountant preferred
- Minimum of 10 years experience combined with budgeting, job cost accounting, and 5+ years of homebuilding industry experience
- Prior Controllership experience required
- At least five years of recent supervisory experience
- Extensive knowledge of accounting and finance practices and job cost, treasury management, risk management, budgeting, financial pro formas, and strategic planning
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, database and query software knowledge helpful, SQL knowledge a plus
- Experience with Mark Systems (IHMS) preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills, ability to collaborate and communicate across the company, and demonstrate excellent customer service
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Credit report in good standing / references / background check
Industry-Leading Home Builder Benefits
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care – Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) With Company Matching Contributions
- Disability Programs
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays