Corporate Controller Job Opening in Huntsville, AL
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are partnering with a top-rated home builder located in Huntsville, AL, to fill the position of a Corporate Controller with a strong residential construction background. Ideal candidates should have extensive accounting experience in the home building industry and with a reputable accounting firm.
Our client is one of the fastest-growing homebuilders in the nation, with a company culture that places a premium on results, work/life balance, team spirit, and collaboration.
The successful candidate will report to the Corporate VP of Finance and will oversee all aspects of the company’s financial reporting, including historical reporting, anticipatory budgeting, and financial projections.
The Corporate Controller will serve as the company’s conscience and will be responsible for maintaining fiduciary responsibilities, driving business process improvements, and challenging the management team’s thinking and decisions. Additionally, the candidate will lead senior management in adhering to company policies and serve as the primary liaison between the division and corporate office regarding accounting and finance-related issues.
Corporate Controller Responsibilities:
- Preparing and assisting in the execution of the company’s annual and revised home building and land budget forecasts.
- Focusing on division investment and daily operations to maximize results related to return on investment (ROI), margin, and overhead expenses.
- Assisting the land team in conducting financial analysis of land deals.
- Supporting the purchasing team in monitoring direct construction costs and job cost variances.
- Monitoring financial performance and reviewing and analyzing monthly financial statements.
- Monitoring balance sheet items, including land and homebuilding work in progress (WIP), escrows, and accruals.
- Preparing land job cost budgets by section and Common budgets.
- Monitoring and reviewing land accounts payable (A/P) overages, change orders, land budgets, and cost-to-complete reserves.
- Reviewing land contracts for FIN 46 applications.
- Monitoring division procedures and internal controls.
- Supporting IT with Information Systems implementations, such as JDE and HMS.
- Assisting the Region President and corporate teams with special projects.
Qualifications for Corporate Controller
The ideal candidate for the role of Corporate Controller for the homebuilder will possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (Master’s preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, including 5 to 7 years of industry experience; CPA/Public Accounting certification is preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting and finance practices, job costing, budgeting, and strategic planning
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel program
- Detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently
- Comfortable working closely with upper management and corporate executives.
Industry-Leading Home Builder Benefits
Our home builder client offers a competitive benefits package to its employees, which includes:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage, including medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan with company-matching contributions
- Disability programs to provide financial support in the event of a qualifying disability
- Employee and dependent life insurance for added peace of mind
- Generous vacation time and company holidays to promote work-life balance.