Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Residential Construction / Homebuilding Finance Job Opening
We’re seeking an experienced Chief Financial Officer for one of the largest home builders in greater Kansas City, MO.
The role is an exciting opportunity for an experienced CFO or market VP of Finance with residential construction or land development/acquisition financing experience. Our client is fast-growing and among the largest builders in the Kansas City area.
Reporting to the CEO, a qualified candidate will have significant finance experience with an extensive accounting and operations background, including job costing, general ledger accounting, and a strong GAAP understanding.
The right candidate for this retained search will establish internal policies and controls relating to sales, purchasing, land development, job starts, and the closing process.
Chief Financial Officer Objectives
- Direct or coordinate an organization’s financial or budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, or increase efficiency.
- Provide vision and leadership in achieving strategic goals and financial objectives.
- Analyze operations to evaluate the company’s performance regarding cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- Lead the business planning, budgeting, and goal-setting processes.
- Implement corrective action plans to solve organizational or departmental problems.
- Coordinate the development, maintenance, or implementation of budgetary control systems, recordkeeping systems, or other administrative control processes.
- Prepare and establish treasury requirements in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Establish and maintain all necessary reporting and financial analysis tools to accurately manage the day-to-day operations and long-term planning.
- Analyze and update budgets and data monthly or more frequently to satisfy corporate reporting requirements.
- Lead and direct the implementation of strategic business plans.
- Develop and implement performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction.
- Evaluate new business opportunities, including land acquisition and development, new products, and new markets, including regional expansion.
- Lead the financial and risk analysis of potential land purchases and proposed land developments, including preparing and analyzing Pro-forma financial statements and allocating related expenses.
- Establish policies and procedures for the accounting department to ensure company goals are met and that adequate measures are in place to protect company assets.
- Manage regulatory exposure and implement risk mitigation policies and procedures, assuring the company follows all regulatory and legal requirements.
- Formulate and maintain a documented system of accounting policies, procedures, and audit compliance methods.
- Lead the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives and establishing a proper set of controls per GAAP.
- Identify and implement operational best practices.
- Collaborate with and advise construction operations, purchasing and estimating, sales, and land development leadership to achieve company goals and objectives. Develop a thorough understanding of all departments to ensure the company meets its objectives and goals.
- Speak at team meetings and lead discussions about various topics, including financial analysis, business planning, goal setting, and leadership.
- As a member of the leadership team, attend necessary meetings with stakeholders.
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors.
- Collaborate with the company’s home office Accounting Department on tax planning issues.
Chief Financial Officer Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) or Master’s Degree in Finance / Accounting or similar
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation is preferred.
- Ten years of progressively more complex financial management experience, including at least seven years of direct team member management, is preferred.
- Experience in a public or subsidiary company where upward accountability is required
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of accounting and finance, with experience in home building, land development, or construction preferred
- Comprehensive experience with management accounting methodology, as well as GAAP
- A proven ability to connect with and motivate team members is required
- Ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented and communicate information and ideas so others will understand
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents, contracts, and financial reports
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems and produce answers that make sense
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions to find relationships and provide recommendations to senior leadership
- Advanced technical knowledge, especially in financial accounting, spreadsheets, and reporting. Should be able to manipulate data in spreadsheets without assistance
- A decisive individual with a “big picture” perspective and well versed in systems and operational excellence models
Industry-Leading Homebuilding Benefits:
- Great Company Culture. Community service day off and matching charitable contributions.
- Flexible Schedules. Outstanding work/life balance with flexible hours around our core time.
- Rest and Relaxation. Self-managed PTO policy and nine paid holidays, including your birthday.
- Great Benefits. Medical with FSA options, dental, vision, and life insurance.
- Preparation for the Future. 401(k) plan with 4% company match.
Apply Below and Follow Us on LinkedIn Here
[lasso ref=”matchbuilt-resume-templates” id=”7257″]