We are seeking an experienced Vice President of Purchasing with experience at a high volume homebuilder in Austin, TX. Our builder client is growing quickly in the market and is seeking local expertise. This position will report to the Division President and only candidates with experience in the Austin market will be considered at this time.
The comp and opportunity for personal and professional growth are very strong for this Vice President of Purchasing homebuilding opportunity.
VICE PRESIDENT OF PURCHASING OBJECTIVES:
- The Vice President of Purchasing will manage the purchasing and cost estimating functions from product development through construction.
- Responsible for all Division purchasing activities, trade contractor relations, and contract administration.
- Keep current on market trends in order to advise on price fluctuations and product availability
- Select, provide training and leadership to the Purchasing Group on customer and employee satisfaction.
- Initiate, negotiate and contract for all labor and materials associated with home construction.
- Ensure house budgets and options are accurate, complete and in the Homebuilder Software System and communicate changes to such to VP of Finance and Division President in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that material takeoffs are correct and complete.
- Set direction on pricing methodology and procedure, reporting system set up and input requirements.
- Conduct, along with the VP’s of Construction and Finance, closed job analysis (“job scrubs”) and report these findings to the Division President and VP of Finance.
- Establish and maintain Scope of Work for all construction phases, in coordination with the VP, Construction.
- Establish service level needs and evaluation criteria for building products, subcontractors, and material suppliers.
- Source new and better products, subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of plans and specifications.
- Responsible for value engineering of the product.
- Monitor and report (on a regular basis) on subcontractor and material increases/decreases.
- Monitor and report (on a regular basis) on construction costs per plan.
- Participate in prototype-walks. Incorporate proto-walk changes into the plans and specifications. Notify appropriate departments of plans and specification changes.
- Provide and maintain competitive bid and value engineering reports for each trade per community.
- Establish, maintain, and keep current standard operating procedures for the Purchasing Department including each purchasing position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Business or another related field or have a minimum of 5-7 years in a similar position with a high-volume homebuilder.
- High level of understanding of the system applications in one or more homebuilding software packages (i.e., Newstar, J.D. Edwards, etc.).
- Extensive knowledge of the homebuilding construction process.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong relationship skills.
- Strong self-organization skills
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills.
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care – Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) With Company Matching Contributions
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays