Territory Sales Manager
LBM / Building Materials Career Opportunity
We are seeking a Territory Sales Manager in Chicago for a lumber and building materials leader. The territory sales manager will work as part of a team to create and support the incremental sales growth and product placement with builders and contractors, and to align the channel for three specialty product lines to meet the growth objectives of the territory.
Territory Sales Manager Responsibilities
- Create sales growth and demand for specialty building products at the builder/contractor and dealer level and align the channel to pull through sales for distribution customers.
- Work with owners, general contractors, builders, framing contractors, sales managers, and building code officials.
- Prospect for new customers and negotiate through a complex sales process to align the channel.
- Partner with national account managers, district sales managers, and channel managers to meet common sales growth targets.
- Provide installation expertise and warranty information to builders and dealers.
- Increase and implement product placement with the top 25 builders in the major MSA’s within the territory.
- Establish relationships with the top installation contractors and with the building inspectors involved in specific markets/regions.
- Develop a solid working knowledge of builder pricing as well as installation cost.
- Conduct product knowledge and product installation seminars for builders and contractors.
- Assist the marketing team in the builder value proposition.
- Maintain the builder’s rewards program with the area builders.
- Participate in trade shows.
- Gather field intelligence, as well as maintain customer information within relevant systems to ensure open and accurate communication lines to the marketplace.
- Create a local value proposition working with the marketing department for each product line to provide the best in class sales support to builders and contractors.
- Represent the company in a professional manner consistent with the company’s core processes.
- Perform all duties in accordance with safety rules and regulations.
Territory Sales Manager Qualifications
- High-level knowledge of local building codes, practices and market intelligence.
- Deep understanding of building science
- Excellent business relationship with regional and local builders.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills.
- Must be able to work with their hands, speak the language of the trades to demonstrate and teach real-world product applications to builders and contractors
- Computer proficiency, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience working with multiple supply chain channels.
- Ability to work in a team and facilitate a results-oriented business plan.
- Excellent analytical ability to identify market opportunities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of construction/building practices.
- Proven builder sales history.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle a number of product categories and market initiatives.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field.
- 4-6 years of outside sales experience, with a history of cold calling and new customer development.
- Or any equivalent combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position.