Land Development Manager
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We’re teaming with a leading regional homebuilder in Greenville, SC, seeking an experienced Land Development Manager. The ideal candidate will be ambitious and willing to learn in a fast-paced environment. This project manager position will manage numerous projects within multiple municipalities around the Greenville metro area.
The position will report to the Division President at this fast-growing division, and experience with a high-volume builder or developer is preferred. The comp, benefits, and opportunity for personal and professional growth are solid for this opportunity.
Land Development Objectives
- To effectively and efficiently coordinate the development of the company-owned property to achieve business plans and financial objectives.
- To create land development budgets, monitor work, and actively track invoices.
- To understand all components of the development processes and the timing/sequencing of all phases of those processes.
- To secure the company’s ability to deliver lots on time with development conditions beneficial to the company.
- To play an integral role in the jurisdictions’ planning process in which the company operates, anticipating all possible requirements needed to secure permits.
- To understand design-related components necessary to satisfy jurisdictional requirements.
- Oversee projects from permit approvals through construction and final certification and community turnover.
- Responsible for the successful delivery of new projects through construction schedules, contract documents, land development budgets, environmental studies, geotechnical reports, engineering plans, architectural construction plans, and permit compliance reports.
- Development and entitlement budgeting.
- Responsible for SWPPP management and compliance.
- Assist management in negotiating terms and specifics of purchase and sale agreements.
- Prepare budgets for the entitlement, zoning, and development of the division’s development projects.
- Prepare timetables or schedules for the entitlement, zoning, and development of land projects.
- Assist in preparing site plans, development plans, and specifications for land projects.
- Meet with local, state, and federal officials to obtain entitlement and zoning approval of community development plans.
- Obtain qualified bidders for the engineering and development of division projects.
- Review and oversee the completion of engineering plans and assist in saving costs and improving the development schedule.
- Review applications for payment from engineers and contractors and present them for payment.
- Oversee and protect the site against loss or damage from any cause, take reasonable precautions and maintain appropriate safeguards to protect against a loss.
Land Development Manager Responsibilities
- Submit/track subdivision, development, and reimbursement agreements.
- Obtain approval of subdivision, development, and reimbursement agreements.
- Obtain formal area landscape plan approval.
- Direct civil engineer on improvement plan issues and schedules and approval.
- Direct civil engineer on final plat development issues and schedule.
- Obtain permits required for development (clearing, grading, encroachment, etc.).
- Prepare trade-specific scopes of work and bid packages.
- Coordinate with dry utility companies for plan preparation, service agreements, and easement dedications.
- Schedule and attend all pre-construction and onsite progress meetings.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the general contractor and their trades.
- Manage day-to-day development activities.
- Manage development budget and update schedules weekly.
- Inspect improvements to ensure compliance with plans.
- Coordinate the start of home construction with Sales and Construction Departments.
- Lead New Community Opening Meetings.
- Prepare disclosure documents for the sale contract.
Qualifications For the Land Development Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, engineering, planning, or construction management.
- Five years of combined experience in the Home Building Industry, with a minimum of 3 years of land development experience.
- Ability to anticipate possible obstacles and propose suitable solutions.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to implementation and execution.
- Concise writing and public speaking/presentation skills are desirable for reporting to the management team.
- Ability to read improvement plans, formulate budgets and understand accounting principles.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Action and results-oriented.
- Superior ability to successfully multi-task and utilize project management skills.
Industry Leading Benefits:
- Competitive compensation
- Health care includes medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage
- 401(k) with company matching contributions
- Employee and dependent life insurance options
- Vacation and company holidays