Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are seeking an experienced Purchasing Agent for a fast-growing, 350+ unit national home builder in the Indianapolis, IN market.
Experience as a Purchasing Agent or Estimator in the homebuilding industry is required as this builder is growing fast. The position will report directly to the Vice President of Purchasing.
Only local Purchasing Agent candidates will be considered at this time. The comp, benefits, and opportunity for personal and professional growth are very strong for this home building purchasing opportunity.
Purchasing Agent Objectives
- Manage the negotiating and executing of contracts for the purchase of all residential construction material and labor
- Prepare bid packages, collect pricing, negotiate contracts, maintain scopes of work, administer contracts
and control budgets.
- Manage and maintain architectural plans ensuring plans meet required code, plans used by production
match plans used for bidding and budgeting and serve as the liaison between local architecture firm(s) and
- Involved with trade management, vendor loading/assignment, bi-directional service, and quality and vendor contracting.
- Manage and maintain cost and price data for community specifications and standard option offerings.
- Key involvement in the new home design and the value engineering process.
- Mentor and train other personnel within the purchasing department and within the division.
- Oversee vendor training and new contractor orientations.
- Accountable for all vendor rebates and incentive recognition in the division.
- Accountable for quarterly look-forward forecasting of brick and mortar costs.
- Assist the VP of Purchasing with researching and implementing new products, construction processes
- Ensures closed-loop interdepartmental communication and issue resolution.
Qualifications of the Homebuilding Purchasing Agent
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in purchasing and estimating required.
- Ability to read and understand residential blueprints.
- Efficient with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, JD Edwards, and other software systems.
- Knowledge of all construction practices nation-wide.
- Ability to perform several tasks efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented, energetic, and hard-working personality.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Valid auto insurance coverage.
Industry-Leading Homebuilding Industry Benefits
- Competitive compensation
- Health Care – medical/dental/vision/prescription drug coverage
- 401(k) with company matching contributions
- Employee & dependent life insurance
- Vacation & company holidays