We are seeking a Director of Purchasing with home building experience in Charleston, SC.
Our builder client is a very reputable leading builder in the Charleston Market and has a strong leadership team with excellent corporate support.
The Director of Purchasing will coordinate all aspects of the homebuilding services department including budgets, trade partner contracts, bidding, trade partner relationships, cycle time, value engineering, and product development. This position will be responsible for working in collaboration with other team members to help achieve the highest level of performance by developing and implementing fluid and manageable job costing processes and procedures. The comp and opportunity for personal and professional growth are very strong for this Director of Purchasing homebuilding opportunity.
DIRECTOR OF PURCHASING OBJECTIVES:
- The Director of Purchasing will manage the purchasing and cost estimating functions from product development through construction.
- Responsible for all division purchasing activities, trade contractor relations and contract administration.
- Keep current on market trends in order to advise on price fluctuations and product availability
- Select, provide training and leadership to the purchasing group on customer and employee satisfaction.
DIRECTOR OF PURCHASING PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Initiate, negotiate and contract for all labor and materials associated with home construction.
- Ensure house budgets and options are accurate, complete and in the software system and communicate changes to the Director of Finance and Division President in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that material takeoffs are correct and complete.
- Set direction for pricing methodology and procedure, reporting system set up and input requirements.
- Conduct, along with the Directors’s of Construction and Finance, closed job analysis and report these findings to the Division President and Director of Finance.
- Establish and maintain the scope of work for all construction phases, in coordination with the Director of Construction.
- Establish service level needs and evaluation criteria for building products, subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Source new and better products, subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of plans and specifications.
- Responsible for value engineering of the product.
- Monitor and report (on a regular basis) on subcontractor and material increases/decreases.
- Monitor and report (on a regular basis) on construction costs by the plan.
- Participate in prototype-walks. Incorporate proto-walk changes into the plans and specifications. Notify appropriate departments of plans and specification changes.
- Provide and maintain competitive bid and value engineering reports for each trade by community.
- Establish, maintain, and keep current standard operating procedures for the Purchasing Department including each purchasing position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Business or another related field or have a minimum of 5-7 years in a similar position with a high-volume homebuilder.
- High level of understanding of the system applications in one or more homebuilding software packages (i.e., Newstar, J.D. Edwards, etc.).
- Extensive knowledge of the homebuilding construction process.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong relationship skills.
- Strong self-organization skills
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills.
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care – Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) With Company Matching Contributions
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Disability Programs
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Home Purchase Rebate Program
- Home Mortgage Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)