In-House General Counsel Job Opening
In-House Legal Counsel for $200M Homebuilder
We are seeking in-house counsel for a leading, private, $180M+ homebuilder that is expanding in the Southeast region.
The role is an exciting opportunity for a real estate or related attorney looking to grow their career with a fast-growing, highly reputable company. Reporting to the CEO and COO and supporting several markets, a qualified candidate will have experience in all aspects of real estate transactions.
Qualified candidates will counsel and strategically collaborate with our client’s many business partners across several states in the Southeast to minimize risk, resolve disputes, creatively solve problems, and contribute to cost-saving initiatives while achieving the company’s business goals.
Responsibilities of General Counsel
- Negotiate, draft and review a wide range of real estate agreements, purchase and sale agreements, employment contracts, mortgage wholesale agreements, vendor agreements, NDAs, and more.
- Negotiate and minimize risk among all joint venture agreements with partners.
- Create scalable processes for triaging a high volume of disparate legal issues from all business areas and help provide training, create templates, and manage workflows to allow divisions to move quickly while addressing key risks.
- Work with outside counsel as necessary on litigation, disputes, and other matters.
- Report directly to the CEO, and work with the senior executives and the finance team to design efficient and effective general controls.
- Provide legal support and advice to the finance, sales, human resources, and the construction teams on all real estate and construction-related legal matters.
- Provide real estate legal advice and act as an escalation point person to find solutions and to manage real estate matters.
- Assist in the development, delivery, and maintenance of standard lease and construction templates and ensuring on-going compliance with current and pending legal regulations.
- Interpret changes to US federal and state legislation relating to real estate matters and work with external counsel on changes to real estate and construction laws across all relevant states.
- Prepare, review, and negotiate leases as well as ancillary real estate related documentation.
- Manage external counsel on transactions to ensure high quality, commercially focused, and cost-effective legal advice.
- Manage internal real estate programs and processes to facilitate lease review and negotiations, tracking key terms and related data.
Qualifications of General Counsel
- Minimum of 5 – 7 years’ experience, as either in-house counsel or senior counsel with a real estate related firm.
- Must have experience in corporate law and real estate
- A JD from a top accredited law school and are a member in good standing with the bar.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to act decisively in situations requiring quick but thorough analysis and decision-making while understanding when and how to escalate issues appropriately.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to roll up your sleeves, hands-on experience necessary
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work across functions.
Industry Leading Benefits
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance