Director of Purchasing
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are seeking a Director of Purchasing for a fast-growing local builder (700+ units per year) in the Tampa market with an excellent reputation. The Director of Purchasing will coordinate all aspects of the purchasing department, including budgets, trade partner contracts, bidding, trade partner relationships, cycle time, value engineering, and product development. This position will be responsible for collaborating with other team members to help achieve the highest level of performance by developing and implementing fluid and manageable job costing processes and procedures.
Director of Purchasing Objectives
- The Director of Purchasing will manage the purchasing and cost estimating functions from product development through production.
- Is responsible for all contract administration, including the communication and management of trade partners’ performance issues and remedies.
- Will keep current on market trends, pricing fluctuations, and product availability.
- Will provide training and leadership to the purchasing team for each individual’s growth and development.
Director of Purchasing Responsibilities
- Initiate, negotiate, and contract for all labor and materials associated with home construction.
- Oversee and manage correct the contract information, purchase orders, options, and pricing in the BRIX system.
- Ensure house budgets are accurate and up to date for senior management presentation at monthly cost price review meetings.
- Participate in bi-weekly project walks consisting of meeting with trade partners, project managers, and sales.
- Manage the builder’s vendor watch list program in collaboration with the construction management team.
- Create and manage cost estimates in collaboration with the community development department for all project proformas.
- Manage and control all project and product specifications and scopes of work.
- Will oversee the processing of all applicable RFI’s from approval through execution.
- Assist VP of Operations with special projects as needed.
Director of Purchasing Requirements
- Minimum of a 4-year college degree in construction, business, or another related field or have 10+ years of purchasing experience.
- High level of understanding of system applications in one or more homebuilding software packages and experience with BRIX software preferred.
- Strong negotiating and relationship skills
- Ability to effectively manage a team of employees for positive results and personal growth.
- Skilled at reading and understanding construction documents with comprehensive knowledge of residential building practices.
- Strong background in home building materials and labor pricing