Director of Purchasing Job Opening in Huntsville, AL
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are seeking a Director of Purchasing for a fast-growing builder in the Huntsville, AL market with an excellent reputation. The Director of Purchasing will lead a team and coordinate all aspects of the purchasing department, including budgets, trade partner contracts, bidding, trade partner relationships, cycle time, value engineering, and product development.
This position will be responsible for collaborating with other team members to help achieve the highest level of performance by developing and implementing fluid and manageable job costing processes and procedures.
Director of Purchasing Responsibilities
- Recruit, select, train, and manage personnel and establish standard operating procedures for purchasing, estimating, and design departments. Hold operating expenses to the targeted ratio on sales.
- Determine accurate standard specifications for each trade. Ensure that all trades are under trade contractor agreement. Develop relationships with trades committed to reducing costs and increasing quality.
- Administer accurate quantity take-offs and estimates. Monitor competitive bidding, contract negotiation, and value engineering. Re-bid trades if cost increases occur.
- Establish and maintain a trade contractor/supplier performance evaluation system and award program.
- Analyze cost codes by phase for cost-saving measures and techniques. Communicate any substantial hard-cost changes to VP.
- Maintain master price books for sales department price adjustment.
- Conduct detailed lot programming analysis.
- Research and approve invoices and variance purchase orders to meet accounting department deadlines.
- Initiate and schedule home starts to match monthly projections.
- Stay current on innovative products, construction techniques, and trends affecting the home building industry.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills.
Director of Purchasing Requirements
- Ten years of experience in purchasing management in the new home construction industry
- Supervision of 10+ employees
- High level of understanding of system applications (Newstar)
- Extensive knowledge of FL building codes, residential construction methods/practices
- ERP system implementation experience
- Strong negotiation and trade base management experience
- Strong self-organization skills
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills
Industry Leading Benefits
- Competitive compensation
- Health Care: medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage
- 401(k) with company matching contributions
- Disability programs
- Employee and dependent life insurance
- Vacation, company holidays, PTO, and more