Corporate Vice President of Operations Job Opening in Charleston, SC
Residential Construction / Home Builder Career Opportunity
We are teaming with a leading regional homebuilder in Charleston, SC, searching for a Corporate Vice President of Operations. In this role, you’ll implement and monitor the company’s purchasing and trade contracting policies to ensure the lowest cost, quality, consistency, and speed across three fast-growing Southeast divisions. The VP of Operations will manage direct construction cost categories company-wide, understand the material and labor cost drivers of controlled categories, and work with local purchasing associates to gain visibility to these categories to drive down costs. You’ll also be responsible for national account development through the strategic alignment of products and services and the standardization of all supply chain and product specification activities across the organization.
Local and non-local candidates will be considered. This opportunity will allow you to work with some of the best / brightest leadership on a divisional and corporate level in the homebuilding industry. The comp, benefits, and opportunity for personal and professional growth are solid for this opportunity.
Corporate Vice President of Operations Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and management for all purchasing/estimating, architecture, and pre-construction team members for all divisions and work closely with the management team in land acquisition, sales & marketing, construction, warranty, and customer service to ensure company goals are met or exceeded.
- Work with divisional purchasing leaders on benchmarking direct cost across their division and other comparable markets.
- Identify spend categories nationally, regionally, and locally where direct material purchase programs/models can be implemented.
- Identify areas where contracting methodologies can be streamlined, reducing bid timeframes and overall contracting process improvement.
- Standardize purchasing methods and align them with the options strategy.
- Standardize vendor/subcontractor onboarding, training, PIP, and termination processes.
- Standardize template for detailed standard features and ensure standardization and consistency across all divisions.
- Work with production and industry events to source new and innovative products and construction methods.
- Implement, manage, and train systems and processes that afford speed and accuracy at the division level related to trade onboarding and contract and data management.
- Analyze the company costing structure and procedures to reduce the overages or budgeting shortfalls at the division level.
- Work in conjunction with the architecture team to ensure the most cost-effective designs and material applications are considered.
- Develop and manage national and regional rebate programs through the strategic alignment of products and/or services mutually beneficial to both the division and the company.
- Facilitate routine strategy meetings with all division purchasing managers.
- In conjunction with corporate systems manager, manage purchasing ERP and provide support to division purchasing staff.
- Lead purchasing ERP revisions to ensure efficient and effective processing of all purchasing-related data and standardize all aspects of purchasing information and sales/construction data input or usage.
- In conjunction with the corporate systems manager, ensure standardization and alignment of all cost codes, option codes, and corresponding scopes of work.
- Create and maintain a standard base house budget format and develop strategy and implement a method for aligning current budget sheet to marks or new system moving forward.
- Create tracking sheet/matrix of various offerings across divisions for quick visibility and cross-training across departments.
- Oversee and manage changes, discontinuation, and samples for all national account/manufacture product offerings or specifications.
- Define standardized feature levels and base specifications for various product offerings in multiple regions and corresponding subdivision-specific CMA-based auto-include feature add ons and overall option strategy.
- Create, implement and maintain corporate level scopes of work with variables for division-specific items we have agreed to allow autonomy in identified, with set criteria for corporate standards in autonomy.
- Create detailed living documents with schematics and corresponding plan and engineering page references for standards and define criteria for areas that can’t align exactly.
Corporate Vice President of Operations Requirements
- 8+ years of purchasing/operations experience in production homebuilding is required (350+ homes per year)
- Experience leading a team or a department
- Comprehensive understanding of the impact of purchasing costs on income statements, balance sheets, and cost structures
- Ability to negotiate in cost transparent environment and develop/improve vendor partnerships
- Experience with Dynamic Builder and/or BuildPro software is a plus
Industry Leading Benefits
- Competitive compensation
- Health care with medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage
- 401(k) with company matching contributions
- Disability programs
- Employee and dependent life insurance
- Vacation and company holidays